Monday, September 29, 2008

Raising up a Family to the Lord

Raising up a Family to the Lord by Gene R. Cook copyright 1993

A wonderful friend gave me the audiobook of this right after my first baby was born. Todd and I loved it so much we bought the book that has more detail and examples. Chapter titles include, "Teaching Your Family by the Spirit", "Teaching Your Family to Pray," "Teaching Your Family Repentance and Discipline," Teaching Your Family about Work and Finances," and others. The practical advice and encouragement is so inspiring. Whether your children are really small, teenagers or young adults, there is beneficial counsel in this book.

Bro. Cook uses examples from his own family life, as well as examples from those he has come in contact through the years. Since he has 9 children, I'd like to believe that he's a pretty good judge of what family life is really like and has learned from experience what will bring a family to the Lord. I continually go back to this book as a reference and reminder when I'm facing a difficult parenting issue or just for encouragement to keep trying. It is not a one-size-fits-all approach to parenting. Bro. Cook's counsel emphasizes the uniqueness of each individual, but shows that by following specific principles our families will be blessed.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Sounds like a great book! Does it say how to get teens to not think their parents are out of touch? Or how to get teens to sit up straight and smile (12-year-old girls especially)? I bet it espouses patience. They always do. :) I'll keep at it.

Kelsie said...

This sounds good ... I've read and/or listened to a few books by Elder Cook and loved them. I'll have to try this one!