Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson copyright 2004

We listened to the audiobook while traveling to California this summer. When I checked it out of the library and noticed that it would take nine hours to listen to the whole thing, I knew Todd would be skeptical that the kids would stick it out to the end. Not only did everyone enjoy it, the time flew by. We were actually looking forward to the little around town trips so we could listen. It's a great family read.

The basis for the story revolves around the "beginnings" of the boy who eventually becomes Peter Pan. We are introduced to Peter and the other potential "lost boys" who are orphans being transported via a horridly filthy old ship to the infamous island of Rangoon to be servants to King Zarboff the third. Along the way they encounter stolen treasure (the most precious cargo ever to go to sea), Molly (a lovely and brave young lady), Black Stache (Capt. Hook figure) in all his evilness, heartless island natives, and a host of other interesting characters. The chapters rotate through the points-of-view of Peter, Black Stache, a vile sailor Slank, Molly, and others as the story moves along. The story is fast paced and intense. Boys will love the adventure and pirate moments.

I love the way Peter's character develops over the course of the story. He begins as a scrappy know-it-all type of child to one who cares about others and is willing to sacrifice for their safety and success. It moves Peter away from being the selfish innocent that is so often portrayed when the play is produced. I like thinking of Peter as a noble boy.

Black Stache's ferociously evil nature stands out in the story. If you ever harbored some sympathy for Capt. Hook, you certainly won't for Black Stache. His cunning and greed coupled with his disregard for any other living soul often shocks your sensibilities. I kept waiting for a bit of humanity to surface from Black Stache, but it never came. Excellent evil character!!!

According to my boys, "This is a good book!" I think they're right!!

4 comments:

Christie said...

Everyone in our family loves this book and the others in the series. Each year for Christmas Loula Belle has received one as a gift. But we've all devoured them breathlessly. (Aaah, books. The ultimate calorie-free pleasure.)

Suko said...

You have FIVE children and still find the time to read and write a blog?! Wow!

My own kids got me interested in children's literature, and we all love to read. Please visit my lit blog when you get a chance, Suko's Notebook.

Anonymous said...

We read this one as a family at night before bed and they liked it too. I must admit it was probably a little much for my 4 year old but he still enjoyed it. We need to read the others. Maybe we'll take it on our trip to Disneyland in November. I think they are a fanstatic grab for the imagination and it never hurts when the hero is someone close to the reader's age.

Jill said...

My family and I listened to this one in the car, too, and we all enjoyed it! A very fun swashbuckling adventure, and Jim Dale's narration is of course superb. We are listening to #2 right now, but with school back in session it's slow going, sigh. I'm tempted to get the book to find out what happens, but my girls would be mad if they found out! :-)