Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fablehaven

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull copyright 2006

After finishing the Harry Potter series, I was in need of a fantasy fix. Fablehaven fit the bill as an easy to read, but fascinating story of magic, danger, and morality.

(Blurb from back cover)
"For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite. . .

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken-- Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good -- powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most."

Although it starts a bit more slowly than some, the author does a great job of setting up needful background information that comes in handy when the going gets truly exciting. A great family read as it really brings out some important lessons about obedience and the protective influence it can be. This is the first book in a series that so far contains three books. I believe there will be more. I've read book 2 and enjoyed it more than the first. I haven't read book 3. . . yet.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I think that my oldest daughter has read this books. I seem to remember her liking them. Oh, and FYI, I check two different versions of "Persuasion" out from the library yesterday. Now I just need a little time to sit back, relax, and immerse myself in wonderful entertainment!

(Like that's going to happen anytime soon.)

Suko said...

Although I'm not much of a "fantasy fan", this book sounds enticing--I will keep it in mind.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.