Friday, January 2, 2009

Camilla

Camilla: A Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball by Caroline Eyring Miner and Edward Kimball copyright 1980

This book was in a stack of a few that I inherited from my grandmother a number of years ago. I read it back in 2005 and really enjoyed it. I love biographies anyway, but I'd always heard what lovely, talented, intelligent woman Camilla Kimbal was and was interested to learn for myself of her goodness.

A lot about Camilla surprised me. She was a very resourceful, gracious woman. I found her early history of living in the Mexican LDS colonies and her family's "sneaking out" of the country fascinating. She devoted herself to her family always. I know many may find this way of thinking old-fashioned, but she truly was always concerned about her family first. She was the ultimate frugal homemaker making the most of everything she had. Certainly lived by the "waste not, want not" principle.

I think that I had hoped she would be a "superwoman" kind of gal, but really, she was just as human and normal as the rest of us. In fact the last sentence of the cover blurb sums it up very well. "The woman who emerges is shy but warm, bighly intelligent, refreshingly candid, deeply faithful, independent to a fault, unswervingly loyal, and reassuringly human."

This book might be out of print, but I'm sure that Utah local libraries will have a copy in their collections. Worth the read.

2 comments:

Christie said...

It sounds like a biography that I could enjoy. More and more I'm of the opinion that "reassuringly human" is what most people are. Even the famous ones. It's just that in our celebrity culture the media has chosen to put some humans on pedestals. Celebrity, class distinction, and other means of social climbing all seem like another way of creating -ites. Really, we can recognize that we're all here to accomplish different things, but that doesn't make anyone better than another. Some just happen to be in the spotlight.

Suko said...

It is reassuring to know that even people who achieve great things are human (act in human ways), and we should be inspired to achieve more in spite of, or maybe because of this very humanness.