Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens copyright 1843

For the past 15 years, on Christmas Day we listen to an audio presentation of A Christmas Carol while traveling to Grandma's for dinner. It has become a favorite part of my celebration. Last year, I finally broke down and bought an illustrated copy of the book for my library. It is lovely! The story itself charms and delights everyone in the family.

My favorite part of the story is when the ghost of Christmas Present and Scrooge visit the poor family of Bob Cratchit. The whole scene is one of glorious happiness and joy despite what some might describe as being poor. The family loves one another and the time of ease the day affords. My favorite quote from this scene:
"There was nothing of high mark in this. They were not a handsome family; their shoes were far from being water-proof; their clothes were scanty; and Peter might have known, and very likely did, the inside of a pawnbroker's. But they were happy, grateful, pleased with one another, and contented with the time . . ." That is what I wish Christmas Day would be like for everyone.

3 comments:

Christie said...

The Herald Journal ran an article on the history of "A Christmas Carol." Dickens wrote it in just six weeks at a time when he was experiencing his own economic downturn. While it generated some funds for him, anyone could perform it without paying royalties due to copyright laws back then. It was extremely popular, but not very lucrative for him. I read it for the first time on my own last year and LOVED IT!

Suko said...

It's a classic story, with so much to say about true wealth and the meaning of Christmas. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Kelsie said...

I've seen this play several times--and I love it every year and I always say, "I really need to read this book!" And now all I can say is that I'm a slacker! :) Some day I really will get to it. I love Charles Dickens.