Monday, November 3, 2008

Jayhawk and Return to Red Castle

Jayhawk and Return to Red Castle by Dorothy M. Keddington copyrights 1978 and 1981

I originally read these fun, clean adventure/romance novels as a teenager. I found some copies at a used bookstore recently for a buck a piece-- yup, they're part of my collection. Seeing as it had been twenty years since I last read them, I decided to see if they were any good beyond my teenage experience. I discovered them to be pleasant, quick reads--even if they were a bit heavy on the romance side. I think that those gals who loved the Twilight series would likely enjoy these. They are every bit as exciting, but without all the weird vampire stuff. (Honestly, I think I like these better than Twilight.) I don't recommend them for young teens. These are for at least dating age girls.

Another bonus, in my view, is that the author, while LDS, doesn't give her characters any particular religion. They are just characters that you don't have to hold up to the LDS standard. The characters are good people, and I like that part, but I just like reading adventure for its own sake without having to filter everything through an LDS viewpoint.

These books are available at local libraries, maybe still at Deseret Book?, and check out the Deseret Industries book section.

2 comments:

Suko said...

I may recommend them to my daughter, who's currently reading the Twilight series.
Thanks for your review!

Christie said...

There's a woman in my ward who love all of Dorothy Keddington's books. I've read a couple. Not my style. But probably just right for teens.